Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our First Valentines Day Together

Before this year, I was a bit anti Valentine's Day. I had never had a valentine before and I'll admit I was a tad bitter about it. (Last year I actually went to California that weekend with some friends and skipped it all together.) But, being engaged did something to me this year and I was really excited to spend Valentine's Day with Bergen.

About a week ago, I was up in the Wilk on campus and stopped in at the craft and flower shop to look around. The paper fanatic in me saw all of the cute Valentine paper and couldn't resist. It had been so long since I did any scrapbooking or card making! I rushed home with my paper and started working on it. My favorite thing about card making is finding different textures to use and mix and match. It's also just a fun, creative outlet for me. On his valentine, I used American Crafts I Love You Cutie Pie paper line, some self adhesive cork (I bought it a while ago because I thought it was really cool. I think it's Karen Foster), tulle, ribbons, mm chipboard letters, and flower brads. I thought it turned out pretty cute, if I may say so!


The same day I made his valentine, I got his gift in the mail. It took everything in me not to tell him about it! I guess I get that from my mom. Keeping gifts a surprise is so hard! A few weeks ago Bergen showed me some drawings he had done on his iPad and mentioned sometime he'd like to get a Wacom tablet to use on his computer. I love to see him be creative and thought that would be perfect to get him for Valentine's Day.

Yesterday morning, I snuck down to the parking garage across from where Bergen works and stuck paper hearts on his car windows and put my valentine to him across his windshield. He usually calls me when he gets off so it was fun to be on the phone with him when he discovered it.

After Bergen got out of class he came and picked me up. We went over to his apartment and exchanged gifts. He gave me two of my favorite Ritter Sport candy bars (dark chocolate hazelnut and raisin hazelnut), a card with some sweet things written in it, and a little voucher to Thai Pan Trading Company to get something to decorate our future home with. After he plugged in his Wacom tablet to test it out, we headed up to Thai Pan. He helped me pick out these cute ceramic birds and jar that I think will look nice on a book case or shelf somewhere.



Afterward, we went back to his apartment and had Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and Caesar salad for dinner. For dessert, he placed a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle of my bowl, put a mint Oreo on either side as wings, and drew stripes and little antennas on it to make it look like a bumble bee. Little, goofy things like this are why I love him. 

Bergen always does such a good job making me feel loved and made me feel especially loved and special yesterday. I told him Valentine's Day may just be one of my new favorite holidays.

Hope you all had a happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment